Joined: 09 Mar 2007
|Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:44 pm Post subject: Turkish Lamb Hotpot with a Potato Crust
Turkish Lamb Hotpot with a Potato Crust
1/2 x shoulder lamb boned (ask your butcher to do this) excessive fat removed meat cut into bitesize chunks
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 x salt and black pepper
1 lrg onion quartered
2 clv garlic
2 tbl olive oil plus extra for brushing 2 aubergines cut into chunks
small handful mint leaves roughly chopped
small handful marjoram roughly chopped
200 ml lamb stock (use 1 supermarket tub)
1 tbl small raisins
3 x baking potatoes peeled and sliced
* Toss the lamb with the allspice and cumin and some salt and pepper.
* Process the onion and garlic to a mush in a processor then mix with the lamb. Leave to one side for about an hour.
* Add 2 tbsp olive oil and mix together then briefly fry the lamb to cook out the spices.
* Remove from the heat add all the remaining ingredients except the potatoes and distribute between four individual ovenproof pots (or put into a wide casserole pan).
* Cover with a layer of sliced potatoes season and brush all over with oil. and cower with foil.
* Bake at 190C/375F Gas Mark 4 for an hour then remove the foil turn the oven up to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7 and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the potatoes start to crisp.
* The lamb juices and spice migrate into the potato which once the foil is removed bakes to a saturated crisp.
* Serves 4