Turkish Eggplant and Peppers
4 sm Japanese eggplants
(or regular eggplant)
2 x Sweet red peppers
2 x Poblano chilies
1 med Red onion, finely chopped
3 cl Garlic , minced
2 x Ripe tomatoes, peeled and
Chopped or canned
2 sprg thyme
Handful of chopped
Splash of wine vinegar
1 lb Spaghetti
* Spaghetti with Eggplant, Roasted Red Peppers and Poblano Chiles
* Cut the eggplant in 1/4-inch thick round slices, sprinkle with salt and let stand 40 minutes.
* Roast, seed, peel and cut the peppers and chilies into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Rinse the eggplant, squeeze dry and fry in olive oil until brown on all sides. Discard oil.
* Heat 2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pan and cook onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the tomatoes and thyme sprigs and cook until they become soft and form a sauce. Stir in the peppers and eggplant, cover and simmer briefly to make sure that the vegetables are soft. Stir in parsley, season with salt and add a splash of vinegar to taste. Remove from heat, remove thyme sprigs and keep warm.
* Cook the pasta, drain thoroughly, toss with the sauce in the pan and serve hot. Elyn Macek