Joined: 09 Mar 2007
|Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:13 pm Post subject: Turkish Cheese Pastry
Turkish Cheese Pastry
450 gm puff pastry (can be frozen)
225 gm white cheese grated (Lancashire or Cheshire)
1 x egg beaten
2 tbl fresh chopped parsley
1 x salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 x beaten egg (to glaze)
* Preheat oven to gas mark 6 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
* You will need 1 greased baking tin approx. 30 by 23cm 4cm deep.
* First of all make the filling by mixing the grated cheese egg and parsley in a bowl; season well with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
* Now divide the pastry into 3 portions then roll out the first portion to an oblong 2.5 cm larger than the baking tin and use this to line the tin allowing the pastry to come up the sides.
* Now spread half the cheese mixture all over this and then roll out the second piece of pastry to fit the tin exactly and then fit this over the filling.
* Then spread the rest of the filling over that.
* The last piece of pastry needs to be about 1cm larger than the tin.
* Fit this over the last lot of filling and then dampen the edges with a little of the beaten egg (for glazing) and pinch it together with the edge of the first layer of pastry to seal it all round.
* If you have any uneven bits you can trim them with a sharp knife.
* Now brush with beaten egg and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 45 minutes until puffed up and golden brown.
* Cut into 12 squares.
* You can serve it hot but it is nicer cold with a salad.
* Makes 12 squares