Stuffed Eggplant with Lamb
6 x Italian or Japanese eggplants
1 cup Olive oil
2 tbl Unsalted butter
2 x Onions finely chopped
1 lb Ground lamb
3 x Tomatoes peeled, seeded,
2 x Green bell peppers seeded, chopped
Salt to taste
1/2 cup Finely-chopped fresh parsley
2 tbl Fresh lemon juice
* Peel the eggplants lengthwise in 1/2-inch strips "zebra-style", leaving a 1/2-inch strip of skin between each peel. Trim off long stems so eggplant will fit in pan. Heat oil in a large, deep pan. In batches, fry eggplant until golden all over and beginning to soften, turning frequently. Transfer eggplant to a baking dish, placing them side by side, and cut a deep slit lengthwise in each eggplant. Set aside.
* Heat the butter in the skillet, add the onions and saute until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the lamb and cook for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers and salt, and saute until all the juices are absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the parsley, and lemon juice, adjust seasonings and remove from heat.
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Stuff the eggplants tightly with the ground lamb mixture, enlarging the opening with your hand. Add a little water to the baking dish, cover, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until eggplants are very tender.
* This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.