FRENCH BREAD (BAGUETTE)
3/4 c Water
2 1/4 c Bread flour
1 ts Dry yeast
1 ts Salt
1 1/2 ts Sugar
2 tb Poppy seeds; optional
1 1/2 ts Buttar
1. Place first 4 ingredients inside the bread pan. Add water. Close cover and place dry yeast into the yeast holder. SELECT: BASIC DOUGH MODE. Press start. (Breadmaker completes the basic dough mode 2 hours and 25 minutes later)
2. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each portions into a ball.
3. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover. Rest for about 20 minutes. (Place in the refrigerator during the summer time.)
4. Roll each ball into a rectangle, using a rolling pin.
5. Starting at one short edge, roll the dough up tightly into a thin log, pinching the edges to seal. Taper and round ends.
6. Place on a greased baking pan. Spray water on top. Proof at 90 deg. for 60 minutes or until nearly doubled.
7. Brush with water. With a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across top of the logs.
8. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
9. Bake in 375 deg. oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. (If your oven allows for steaming, bake with steam for first 10 minutes.)