· 12 medium-sized potatoes
· 3 tbsp butter or margarine
· 3 tbsp grated cheese
· 1-2 tbsp dry bread crumbs
Proceed as follows:
1. Preheat the oven to 225 oC.
2. Place the peeled potatoes in a wooden spoon and make vertical slices, 2-3 mm apart, about 3/4 of the way through the potatoes. The wooden spoon will protect the final 1/4 of the potatoes.
3. With the cut-side up, place the potatoes in a buttered baking dish.
4. Melt half of the butter and pour it over the potatoes, then sprinkle with salt.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, now and then basting the potatoes with molten butter.
6. After 30 minutes, sprinkle over bread crumbs and, if desired, grated cheese.
7. Continue to bake for another 15 minutes.