Marjoram Potato Casserole
From: Carey SCHNELL
750 g potatoes
bunch of fresh marjoram (dried otherwise)
2 egg yolks
freshly ground pepper
40 g butter
(If I want this as a main meal, then I use minced meat and prepare it the same way I would for Lasagna (ie spicy and rich) I then just alternate the layers of meat mix and the potato recipe.)
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes thinly.
- In lightly salted, rolling boiling water, cook for 5 mins.
(sorry about the sentence stucture- I'm translating this from Germanthis is an "authentic" Austrian recipe...)
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly in a sieve.
- Take the Marjoram from the stalks, and chop finely.
- Mix salt, pepper and marjoram with the egg yolks and cream.
- Grease a casserole dish, and place half the potatoes in the form.
- Chop the ham finely, and spread half over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle s and p over the layers.
- Place the rest of the potatoes in the dish, and then pour the egg mix over the top. Sprinkle with ham, and dot the top with the remainder of the butter used for greasing the dish.
Cook on 250degrees Celcius (er- Farenheit, ~375) for 30-40 mins, or until golden on top.
Serve with a green salad dressed with a marjoram/vinegar combination.