From: Yashodhara P. Pawar
SPICY PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS IN BALSAMIC VINEGAR
2 Portabella mushrooms (they are Xpensive!)
2 large sweet red peppers
2 cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion
1 tsp olive oil
1 tblsp fresh, coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 capful *very good* BALSAMIC VINEGAR (this is the key - get one from a specialty store, the supermarket ones are too watered down. A good Modena type is good) 1/4 tsp Hungarian paprika for flavour
salt to taste Algorithm:
1. Whisk the sauce ingredients together
2. Wipe the shrooms with a moist towel and slice long.
3. Chop the onions along the grooves.
1. Place whole peppers and tomatoes on a foil in a preheated oven at BROIL. Keep turning them until the peppers are charred. The tomatoes will bleed into the foil...don't throw that water.
2. Remove peppers and make long slices. Remove the core and the seeds.
3. Mix the cherry tomatoes and the fluid they exude, into the sauce. Mix well until the tomatoes are crushed into the sauce.
4. Pour the oil in a heated skillet. Saute onions and 'shrooms. Sprinkle with black pepper. Add half the sauce and saute for a few mts. more.
1. Arrange the shrooms on a plate. Place the red peppers around it. Pour the extra sauce on the circumference. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
2. Serve with brown rice or rye bread.