Bulgur Meatballs (Keftede)
World's Finest: Pasta and Grains (1996)
3/4 cup bulgur
1/2 cup chickpeas -- cooked 4 oz
1 pound ground lamb -- lean, see note
1/2 cup bread crumbs
(finely crumbled pita bread)
1 large egg -- slightly beaten
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic -- crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley -- or mint or mix
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil -- or less
1 Sprig fresh mint -- for garnish
salad leaves -- for garnish
1/3 cup plain lowfat yogurt -- optional
Use less meat.
Substitute ground turkey
1 medium egg for the large
PREPARATION (30 minutes)
- Place the bulgur in a small bowl, add enough cold water to cover and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain through a sieve lined with a piece of cheesecloth. Wrap the cheesecloth around the bulgur and squeeze out the excess water.
- OR USE INSTANT
- Place the chickpeas in a blender or a food processor fitted with a metal blade and blend until finely chopped. (Or coarse chop)
COOKING (30 minutes chilling and 30 minutes cooking)
- Place the bulgur, chickpeas, lamb, bread crumbs, egg, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper and mint in a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- With cold, wet hands, roll the mixture into 30 balls,about 1-1/2 in (3 cm) in diameter. Place on a large plate, cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Re-roll the chilled meatballs, if necessary, to refine the shape.
- Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, add half the meatballs and cook, moving and turning over frequently, until browned on all sides and cooked in the center, about 6 to 8 minutes. Test one for pink-center. Transfer to paper toweling when done. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and cook the remaining meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a warm serving platter. Serve hot, garnished with mint and salad leaves or dandilion greens. Serve with yogurt in a bowl.