Turkish Orange Cake with Fresh Tayberries or Loganberries
1 lrg Orange
4 oz Almonds, ground
1/2 cup Caster sugar
1 tsp Baking powder
3 dsh Almond extract
3 lrg Eggs
2 oz Pine kernals
1 lb Tayberries or loganberries
2 x Oranges
* Put one whole orange in a small saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 2 hours. Pour away the water and leave to cool.
* Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
* Grease a 23 cm/9in shallow cake tin and line with greaseproof (waxed)
* Chop the cooked orange roughly, discard the pips and liquidize, including the skin.
* Mix together the ground almonds, sugar, baking powder and almond extract in a bowl. Beat the eggs with a fork, beat in the liquidized orange, then pour into the bowl containing the other ingredients and mix well. Pour this mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the top with pine kernals. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly, then turn out on to a wire rack.
* Just before serving, peel off the paper and sprinkle the top of the cake with a little icing sugar. Serve in wedges with slices of orange and fresh tayberries or loganberries.