Turkish Lamb Shanks and Roasted Plums
2 tbl paprika
2 tbl ground, toasted cumin seed
2 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 x lamb shanks, about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds each
1/4 cup olive oil
2 lrg onions, chopped, about 2 cups
1/2 lb plums, cut in half and stones removed (damsons or Italian prune plums are a good choice)
1/4 cup sugar
2 cup hot chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
* Mix the paprika, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, salt and pepper
* In a bowl.
* Rub the spice mix into the lamb shanks creating a spice covering that coats the lamb completely. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the onions and begin to brown them stirring occasionally. Add the plums that you have pitted along with the sugar and cook for a few minutes with the onions.
* Remove the onions and plums with a slotted spoon and add the seasoned lamb to the hot Dutch oven and brown the lamb well on all sides. Cook down by half. Add the hot stock and return the onions and plums to the pot.
* Adjust the seasoning, set at a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the lamb is fork tender.
* Serve with almond and saffron rice. 4 to 6 portions