Turkish Courgette Pancakes
6 tbl Olive oil or sunflower oil, up to 7
2 lrg Onions, grated
3 x Courgettes, grated
3 1/2 oz White cheese, such as feta, grated or crumbled
5 tbl Chopped dill
5 tbl Chopped flat leaf parsley
4 tbl Sifted plain flour
3 x Eggs
Salt and black pepper
1 sprg dill or parsley to garnish
* Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the onion until golden.
* Squeeze the excess moisture from the grated courgettes by pressing them in a colander or sieve or squeeze them in your hand. Add them to the pan and fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes. Put to one side.
* Whisk the cheese, dill, parsley, flour and eggs together in a large bowl.
* Season, but check on the saltiness of the cheese before adding more salt.
* Pour the contents of the frying pan into the cheese and eggs and mix well.
* Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 5-6tbsp of oil, enough to shallow fry the pancakes. When thoroughly hot, drop in tablespoons of the mixture one by one to make small pancakes. Leave room for them to spread a little.
* Cook until they are golden brown on both sides. Do not try to turn the pancakes until the undersides are sufficiently browned or they may fall apart.
* Drain off any excess oil on kitchen paper and serve the pancakes garnished with a few sprigs of dill or parsley. The pancakes can be eaten hot, warm or cold. A tomato salad or a bowl of garlic flavoured yoghurt makes a good accompaniment.