2 1/2 cups brown rice flour, (or spelt flour)
4 tablespoons tapioca, finely ground
1/4 cup flax seeds, ground
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 teaspoons baking powder, (double acting)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 2/3 tablespoons canola oil
7 1/3 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
1 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon zest (from one fresh lemon)
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Oil and flour a 12-muffin pan.
Sift dry ingredients together, and stir in frozen blueberries. Combine remaining ingredients (liquids and lemon zest), then stir into the flour mixture.
Spoon into the muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven to cool on racks.
- For every 3 cups of flour, if 2 2/3 tablespoons of canola oil and 7 1/3 tablespoons of applesauce are used, the calories from fat less than or equal to 15%, and if 7 tablespoons of canola oil and 3 tablespoons of applesauce are used, the calories from fat is less than or equal to 30%.
- For a more decadent muffin (that would have more fat), replace some or all of the applesauce with canola oil, and use coconut milk in place of water.
- Could use prune puree in place of all or some of the applesauce for a different fat replacer.
- See the "Cake Notes" in the Dessert chapter for more variation ideas.
- Could ice with "Lemon-Ginger Icing" (see recipe).