1 Roast each of the above till they turn aromatic.
2 Powder to a fine powder using a coffee grinder and use as required.
3 This will keep well for months in a airtight container.
4 You can make a larger quantity of this by using the above ingredients in the same ratio.
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:14 pm Post subject: Garam Masala
(approximately 1 1/2 cups)
· 3 - 5" pieces Cinnamon stick
· 1 cup Green cardamom pods
· 1/2 cup Cumin seed
· 1/2 cup Black peppercorns
· 1/2 cup Cloves
· 1/2 cup Coriander seeds
1. Dry the ingredients in an oven. Do not let them turn brown. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods. Pound cinnamon sticks into smaller pieces. Combine ingredients until they are well mixed and blend at high speed for 2-3 minutes until completely pulverized.
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 pm Post subject: Garam Masala
by Kris Dhillon
This makes about three tablespoons.
· 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
· 1 tablespoon cummin
· 1 teaspoon green cardamoms
· 1 teaspoon cloves
· 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
· 2 sticks of cinnamon, approx two inches in length
· 2 bay leaves
· ½ small nutmeg
· 4 black cardamoms
1. Place all ingredients into an electric coffee grinder and grind for one minute. Carefully remove lid and test by rubbing a little of the mixture between forefinger and thumb. Finely ground spices should not feel gritty. If necessary, switch on the machine for another few seconds.
2. Put the garam masala into a small airtight container, preferably made of glass or plastic, and label.