Joined: 09 Mar 2007
|Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:18 pm Post subject: Turkish Cold Yoghurt Soup
Turkish Cold Yoghurt Soup
340 gm thick plain low fat yoghurt
15 x cm cucumber peeled and grated
1 1/2 tbl olive oil
1 1/2 tsp wine vinegar
1 1/2 clv garlic peeled and crushed
1 1/2 tbl finely chopped fresh mint plus more leaves to garnish
2 tbl finely chopped fresh dill.
150 ml water
* Whisk the oil vinegar and garlic in a bowl.
* Add yoghurt and salt and beat until smooth.
* Squeeze the cucumber with your hands to remove excess moisture then mix it into the sauce with the mint.
* Add the dill.
* Dilute with 150ml water
Cover and refrigerate.
* Serve lightly chilled garnished with mint.
* The Turks are supposed to have brought yoghurt with them to Europe and they certainly display a preferencefor it. It is used in soups served with poached eggs in cilbir spread overfried vegetables used in salads with spinach or purslane used to marinate kebabs made into a cold drink called ayran and it features in cacik the Turkish Yoghurt and Cucumber Salad (qv). This refreshing soup is identical to cacikwater.
* Serves 4