Koupepia Stuffed Vine Leaves
20 x Vine leaves (or
Alternatively, Savoy cabbage Leaves)
2 oz Long grain rice
1 x Onion, chopped
2 tbl Olive oil
4 oz Minced lean lamb
2 tbl Tomato puree
2 tbl Chopped parsley
1/2 x Glass/100ml water or light
Salt and pepper
4 tbl Olive oil and
The juice of 1 lemon - for
* For packet vine leaves, soak in boiling water for about half an hour, then refresh in cold water for 5 minutes. With fresh vine leaves, plunge them into boiling water for about one minute, then straight into cold water.
* Snip off the stalk and spread the leaves ready to fill.
* For the filling: fry onion in the oil until it begins to colour Add the rice and lamb and stirfry for about 3 minutes until the rice has turned transparent and the meat has lost its redness.
* Add the tomato puree, parsley, seasoning and enough liquid to moisten.
* Simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and leave to cool.
* Put a teaspoonful of the Filling into the centre of each vine leaf. Fold the base of the leaf over the filling then fold in the sides. Now roll up just like a cigar.
* Cover the base of a saucepan, casserole or microwave dish with spare vine leaves. Place the koupepia carefully on top and cover the whole lot with more vine leaves. Pour over the oil and lemon juice and cook gently for about half an hour. Press a saucer down on top of the koupepia if cooking in a saucepan, it will stop them breaking up.