A lentil-rice flour preparation from South India, this breakfast dish is eaten with coconut chutney.
· 1 cup urad dal (black gram lentils)
· 2 cups raw rice or rice flour
· 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped finely
· 2-3 green chillies chopped finely
· A small piece ginger, minced finely
· 3 small onions, chopped finely
· Salt to taste
· Cooking oil for making the uttapams
1. Wash the rice and lentils seperately and seperately soak in some water such that they are totally covered for about 3 hours.
2. Blend into a smooth paste, using some water, the lentils and the rice (seperately).
3. The batter consistency should not be too watery, but it should be of pouring consistency.
4. Mix the 2 together and add the salt.
5. Transfer to a big bowl (the dough will rise the next day!) and let it keep overnight (keep it covered).
6. The next morning, mix the batter well..it should be sufficiently thick.
7. Mix together the green chillies, onions, coriander and the onions in a small bowl.
8. Keep aside.
9. Rub some oil on a flat griddle (tava) and heat it.
10. When the tava is hot, pour some batter onto it.
11. Using circular motions with the ladle, spread the batter to make a thick circle.
12. Let it cook on the under side.
13. Keep it covered with a plate or something so that it roasts well.
14. Use low heat or else the batter will burn.
15. Now sprinkle some of the onion mixture on the top side and overturn the uttapam.
16. Cook on the other side similiarly.
17. When both sides are sufficiently roasted, lift it off the tava.
18. Repeat for the rest of the batter.