Raita with Radish
by Kris Dhillon
This raita has more bite than cucumber raita and is delicious eaten on its own as well as with rice and curries. The radish used in this recipe is known as mooli. This is white in colour and shaped rather like a large carrot. It is sweeter in taste than the well known smaller red radishes and is excellent in salads. Moolis are now readily available in supermarkets as well as Asian greengrocers. If you cannot get them, use whatever radish you can find.
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
· 1 pint (570ml) plain yoghurt
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 5 inch (13 cm) piece mooli
· ½ teaspoon garam masala
· 1 green chilli finely chopped
1. Put the yoghurt and salt into a bowl and beat with a fork until smooth.
2. Peel, wash, and grate the mooli. Add to the yoghurt together with the garam masala and the chilli.
3. Mix and refrigerate until required.