Hot and Sour Tomato Pickle
This delicious pickle is very easy to make and will serve as an excellent accompaniment to plain rice, dosas and breads.
For the not-so-brave at heart, you can mix this pickle with some curd and savor it with dosas, rice or bread.
· 1 lb. green tomatoes(Red ones can be used too)
· 15-20 red chillies
· 1 cup chopped ginger
· 1 cup chopped garlic
· 2 cups vinegar
· 1 tsp turmeric
· 1 tbsp mustard seeds
· 1 tsp fenugreek
· 1 1/2 cups oil
· Salt to taste
1. Slice the tomaotes, smear turmeric and salt on them and soak them in 1 cup vinegar.Leave for about 2 hours.
2. Blend together the garlic, ginger, red chillies and 3/4 of the mustard, with a little vinegar.
3. Heat the oil and add the remaining mustard.
4. When the mustard crackles, add the fenugreek.
5. Fry for 2 minutes and then add the blended mixture and fry well for over 20 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes and the remaining vinegar.
7. Stir continuously as the mixture comes to a boil.
8. When the pickle is almost done, the oil begins to float at the top.
9. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
10. Store in a clean bottle.
11. Will keep for a year.