An innovative way to eat lentils, this dish combines the tangy taste of spices like hing and cumin with the delicious aroma of melted butter and you'd be surprised how effortless it is to make something that tastes so yummy!
· 1 1/2 cups toor dal, washed and drained
· 2 tomatoes, medium sized, cut into large pieces
· A pinch of turmeric powder
· 2 tsp coriander leaves, chopped
· 1 small onion, chopped
· A pinch of hing
· 1 tsp red chilli powder
· 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp dhania powder
· 4-5 green chillies, chopped
· 1 sprig curry leaves
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 1 tsp mustard seeds
· 1/2 stick butter
· Salt to taste
1. Boil the dal and tomatoes with a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 cup water till the dal is soft.
2. Add salt to taste.
3. Set aside.
4. In a saucepan, prepare the seasoning by heating the butter.
5. Add the cumin and mustard.
6. When the cumin is slightly fried, add all the other seasoning ingredients except the red chilli, turmeric and dhania.
7. Fry till the onion starts turning color.
8. Now add the powders and fry for a minute.
9. Remove from heat and add the boiled dal/tomato to this.
10. Add the chopped coriander leaves.
11. Mix well.
12. Adjust the salt if necessary.
13. Add 1 cup of water.
14. Bring it to a boil and remove.
15. Serve hot with rotis or plain rice.