Balti Chick-Peas (Chana Balti)
· 125 ml Oil
· 125 g Grated onion
· 1/2 t Ground fresh root ginger
· 1/2 t Ground fresh garlic
· 125 g Finely chopped fresh tomatoes
· 350 g cooked or canned chick peas, drained
· 1/2 t Salt
· 1/2 t Red chilli powder
· 1 pinch Ground turmeric
· 600 ml Water
· 1 Whole fresh green chilli
· 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh coriander
· 1 t Garam masala
1. Put the oil into a karahi or deep frying pan, add the onions and fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Add the ginger, garlic, and tomatoes, and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes on low heat until the oil separates and the mixture forms a pulp.
3. Add a tablespoon of water at a time if required.
4. Add the cooked or canned chickpeas, salt, red chilli powder, and turmeric, and stir well.
5. Add 6 tablespoons of boiling water and simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes or until excess water evaporates and there is thick gravy.