Kesar Chawal (Saffron Rice)
· 2 cup Rice
· 4 cup Water
· 6 Tbsp Ghee
· 1 tsp Saffron threads (or less)
· 2 Tbsp Hot water
· 1 cup Sliced onion
· 1 small Cinnamon stick - splintered
· 4 Bay leaves
· 4 large Black cardamoms
· 1 Tbsp Cumin seed
· 4 Cloves
· 2 tsp Salt
1. Soak saffron in hot water. Wash and soak rice in 3 c water (optional). Heat ghee and fry onions and then remove and keep aside. Add cinnamon, cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves and salt.
2. Wait 1 minute and then add the bay leaves and 1/2 the onions.
3. Drain the rice and reserve the water. Add the rice grains and stir for 4-5 minutes until all the water evaporates and the grains of rice are coated with oil.
4. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add saffron and its water and pressure cook at 15 psi. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to drop by itself.