· 2 cups of assorted vegetable, cut into longish pieces
· (You can use green beans, peas, carrots, cauliflower, etc)
· cups rice
· 1 cup curd(yoghurt)
· Salt to taste
· 6 green chillies, minced
· 1 tsp fresh garlic paste
· 1 tsp fresh ginger paste
· 2 tsp chopped mint leaves
· 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
· 2 tomatoes, chopped
· 1 tsp fresh dhania (coriander) powder
· 1 tsp fresh cumin powder
· 1 tsp red chilli powder
· 1 tsp clove powder
· 1 tsp cinammon powder
· 1 tsp chopped cashewnuts
· 1 stick cinammon, broken into bits
· 2 cloves
· 2 cardamoms
· 2 medium sized onions, sliced finely
· 2 tbsp ghee(clarified butter)
· A pinch of saffron(orange coloring)
· 1-2 tsp milk
· 1 cup deep fried onion slices for garnish
· 1/2 cup chopped mint and coriander leaves for garnish(Optional)
1. Combine together ingredients 3 to 15 and mix well.
2. Add the vegetables to it and let it marinate for about 1/2 hr.
3. Heat the ghee in a pan and add the cashewnuts, cinnammon, cardamom and cloves. Fry for 15 seconds and add the sliced onion.
4. When the onions turn transparent, add the marinated vegetables and without adding any water, cook the vegetables on medium heat till the masala is well cooked and turns aromatic. The vegetables should be completely done.
5. The masala will reduce and lose all moisture.
6. Set aside.
7. Wash the rice and steam cook it such that individual grains can be separated.
8. Dissolve the saffron in the milk.
9. Take about one cup of cooked rice and add the saffron to it.
10. Now mix this colored rice with the rest of the cooked rice, so that you get streaks of orange in the rice.
11. In a deep oven-safe bowl, pour this rice and spread to cover the entire bottom of the vessel.
12. Pour the vegetables on top and spread evenly.
13. Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes at 300 deg f.
14. Remove foil and serve hot, garnished with chopped herbs and fried onions.