Saint Lucia Buns
· 300 ml milk
· 1 g saffron
· 50 g fresh baker's yeast
· 150 g sugar
· 125 g butter or margarine
· 700 g all purpose flour
· 1 egg
· salt, raisins
Proceed as follows:
1. Melt butter or margarine in a pan and add the milk and the saffron. Warm the mixture to 37 oC. Use a thermometer, the correct temperature is important!
2. Pour the mixture over the finely divided yeast, then add the remaining ingredients (except for the egg and the raisins), which should have a temperature of 21-23 oC. Mix into a smooth dough.
3. Cover the dough with a piece of cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
4. Knead the dough, divide it into 25-30 pieces and form each piece into a round bun. Let the buns rest for a few minutes, covered by a piece of cloth..
5. Form each bun into a string, 15-20 cm long, then arrange the string in a suitable shape, e.g. like an S or a double S. Regardless of the shape, the ends of the string should meet. Press a few raisins into the dough.
6. Cover the "Lucia cats" with a piece of cloth and let them rise for 40 minutes.
7. Whip the egg together with a few grains of salt. and paint the "Lucia cats" with the mixture.
8. Bake them for 5-10 minutes in the oven at 250 oC until golden brownish yellow.