· 600 g of thick flank, cut in thin slices
· 4 onions, cut into thin slices
· 8-10 potatoes, peeled and cut in rather thick slices
· bay leaf
· salt and white pepper
· 500 ml water or bouillon, mixed
Proceed as follows:
1. Brown the onion slices and remove them from the frying-pan.
2. In the same pan brown the meat slices briefly on both sides. Season with salt and white pepper.
3. Add water, beer and bouillon, bay-leaf and thyme, cover and let the meat cook for 10 minutes in the frying-pan.
4. In a casserole put layers of meat, sliced potato and onion, potatoes forming the bottom and uppermost layer.
5. Cover with liquid and let the stew simmer in the oven or on the stove for 45 - 60 minutes (cooking time is not critical). Serve sizzling hot.