· 200 - 300 g anchovy filets (Please note: Swedish anchovy filets are prepared from sprat (scientific name: Sprattus sprattus) whereas US filets are prepared from anchovy (scientific name: Engraulis encrasicholus). Sprat filets should be used!)
· 6-8 large potatoes
· 2 large yellow onions
· 30 g butter
· 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 150 ml cream
· 2-3 tablespoons breadcrumbs (dried and finely crushed white bread)
Proceed as follows:
1. Peel and slice the potatoes, cut the slices in thin strips (or use your food processor!).
Cover the potato strips with plenty of water.
2. Peel and chop the onions finely and fry for a few minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 250 oC, butter a dish.
4. Drain the potato strips, put a layer of potato strips at the bottom of the dish, on top of this a layer of anchovy filets and chopped onions, then another layer of potato strips, then another anchovy/onion layer, etc. The uppermost layer should be potato strips.
5. Spread the dried breadcrumbs over the dish, sprinkle with melted butter.
6. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, then add the cream and continue baking for another fifteen minutes. Serve hot!