2 x Red bell peppers
1/2 cup Walnuts
4 x Garlic cloves
3/4 cup Dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbl Pomegranate syrup plus
extra syrup for garnish
2 tbl Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
* Place peppers over a gas flame or on a tray under the broiler. Keep turning so the skin is evenly charred, without burning and drying out the flesh. Transfer charred peppers to a plastic bag, tie the top closed and let steam until cool to the touch, about 15 minutes. Peel off the charred skin by hand. Cut away stems, seeds and veins, and roughly chop.
* Place chopped peppers in a blender or food processor, add a few drops of water, and process to a paste. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
* In the same blender, drop in the walnuts and garlic with the motor running and process for 30 seconds. Add the bread crumbs and process another 30 seconds. Return the peppers to the blender, along with the olive oil, pomegranate syrup, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt, and process until smooth. Adjust seasonings, and transfer to a bowl.
* To serve, drizzle a little pomegranate syrup over the top.
* This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.