Turlu (Mixed Vegetable and Meat Casserole)
1 med Eggplant, about 1 pound
6 tbl Butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces and clarified
2 lb Veal, lean, boneless, or lamb, prefer from the shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup Onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 lb String beans, fresh, trimmed and cut in half
2 med Zucchini, or other summer squash (about 1 pound), peeled and cut crosswise into 2 inch pieces
1/2 lb Okra, fresh, washed and trimmed of stem ends
1 lb Potatoes, boiling, peeled & cut into 2 inch cubes
1 lb Tomato, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/4 lb Green peppers, Italian type, long, green, cut lengthwise into halves and seeded
Black pepper, freshly ground
2 cup Water
* With a sharp knife, cut the stem form the eggplant and peel it lengthwise, leaving 4 evenly spaced 1 inch wide strips of peel intact.
* Cutting between the strips, divide the eggplant lengthwise into quarters.
* then cut into 2 inch cubes and set aside.
* In a heavy 5 to 6 quart casserole, heat the butter over moderate heat until a drop of water flicked into it sputters instantly. Add the meat and brown it lightly, turning the pieces frequently with a spoon and regulating the heat so they color quickly and evenly without burning. Stir in the onions and teaspoon of the salt, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender and shows no resistance when pierced with the point of a small, sharp knife.
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Scatter the string beans evenly over the meat, then in separate layers, spread the eggplant, squash, okra, potatoes, tomatoes and green peppers on top. Sprinkle the vegetables with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grindings of pepper, and pour the water over them. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, then cover tightly and bake in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour, or until most of the liquid is absorbed by the vegetables. Serve at once, directly form the casserole.