Joined: 09 Mar 2007
|Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:22 pm Post subject: Turkish Yogurt Cake with Poached Pumpkin
Turkish Yogurt Cake with Poached Pumpkin
175 gm butter plus extra for greasing
200 gm thick greek yogurt
2 lrg eggs beaten
300 gm caster sugar
few drops vanilla essence
2 x level tbsp desiccated coconut
225 gm self raising flour sieved
1/2 x level tsp baking powder
75 gm sultanas
1 x juice of 7 lemons and 1 orange
1 x cinnamon stick
225 gm pumpkin flesh cut into thin slices rosewater (optional)
pumpkin seeds to decorate
* Grease and baseline a 900g loaf tin with nonstick baking parchment.
* Melt the butter and leave to cool a little before beating into the yogurt.
* In a bowl whisk together the eggs and 175g sugar with an electric whisk until very light and fluffy.
* Fold in the yogurt mixture vanilla essence and coconut.
* Sieve in the self raising flour and baking powder and fold in the sultanas.
* Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
* Bake at the front of the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven for 45 to 50 minutes turning the tin round after about 30 minutes to ensure even colouring.
* Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the bakingoven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
* Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
* Meanwhile in a saucepan dissolve 75g caster sugar in 4 tbsp water.
* Add the juice of 1 lemon the orange juice and crumbled cinnamon stick and bring to the boll.
* Add the pumpkin then place in the simmering oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until soft.
* Leave the pumpkin to cool in the syrup.
* Slowly dissolve the remaining 50g caster sugar in 2 tbsp water.
* Add the juice of the remaining lemon or a few drops of rosewater if using and warm in the simmering oven to a light syrup.
* Allow to cool a little.
* Return the cake to the clean tin.
* Make fine holes all over the cake with a skewer and pour the warm syrup over. Remove the cake from the tin and cut into thick slices.
* Decorate with pumpkin seeds and serve with slices of the poached pumpkin.
* If pumpkin is unavailable use butternut squash instead. This moist lighttextured cake improves with keeping and may be served with any fresh fruit. Dont be put of by the combination of cake and pumpkin its quite delicious.
* Makes 12 slices