Turkish Vegetable Pilav
150 gm peas (fresh or frozen)
2 lrg tomatoes
2 x onions
3 x cloves garlic
2 x carrots
2 sm zucchini
50 ml oil
1/2 tsp ground kurkuma
1 tbl poppy seed
1 tsp cilantro seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
250 gm Basmati rice (to reduce costs I do half long grain, half basmati)
2 x bay leaves
1/2 lt vegetable broth
* Defrost peas. Peel tomatoes and chop. Dice the garlic and cut the onions into 8ths. Slice zucchini. Heat oil in a pot. Add onions.
* Saute about 1 min. Add kurkuma. Saute 2 min. Add the poppy seed, cilantro seeds, cumin and garlic. Saute until the seeds begin to pop.
* Add uncooked rice and saute til glassy. Salt to taste. Add the bay leaves and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil an let simmer for about 10min. Add vegetables and let cook another 10 min. Sprinkle with coconut.
* Serves 4 with a salad and baguette on the side.
* For the yoghurt/kefir sauce:
2 cloves garlic
1 tbs chopped fresh mint leaves
200g yoghurt (I used 1.5% fat yoghurt)
* 1 tbs peanut oil (didn t have and used
olive oil. Just fine.)
* 1 tbs black mustard seeds (couldn't find and used the regular yellow ones).
* Peel cuke and chop fine. Put garlic through garlic press. Mix cuke, garlic and mint with kefir and yoghurt. Heat oil in skillet. Roast the mustard seeds until they begin to pop. Add to yoghurt-kefir mixture. Serve with pilav.