Turkish Meat Bread with Anissa
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour more for kneading
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
1 med onion very finely chopped
1 lrg tomato peeled, and
7 oz lean ground lamb - (abt 1 cup)
1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice or to taste
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Coarse salt to taste
1/8 tsp finely-ground black pepper
* Stir yeast into 1/4 cup of the water; set aside for 10 minutes.
* Sift flour into a large bowl, and make a well in the center. Add salt and olive oil, and work in with your fingers, then add the yeast mixture and remaining 1/4 cup water. Transfer to a clean work surface, and knead for 5 minutes, or until you have a smooth, elastic dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
* While the dough is resting, combine all the ingredients for the topping in a large bowl.
* Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, and roll each into a ball. Take 1 ball, flatten it with your hands into a 5-inch disk, then pull and stretch into a long oval (the bread will be quite thin). Transfer to one of the prepared baking sheets. Using your fingers, make indentations just inside the edges. Spread a quarter of the topping all over. Repeat the procedure with the remaining dough and topping.
* Bake until lightly golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
* This recipe yields 4 servings.