Turkish Lemon Yoghurt Cake
2 x lemons, zest of
250 gm butter
1 1/4 cup castor sugar
5 lrg eggs, seperated
1 1/4 cup Greek style yoghurt
2 1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 x teapoon salt
two lemons, juice of
two lemons, cut into fine strips , rind of
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Colonial Lemon Cognac Dessert Sauce*
* Preheat the oven to 175c.
* Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until thick and fluffy. Reduce the mixing speed to low and add the egg yolks, one at a time. Finally, add the yoghurt and mix well. Add the flour and salt to the batter and mix to incorporate.
* Beat the egg whites until stiff then fold into the batter gently.
* Pour the batter into a greased "kugelhopf" or tube pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
* Meanwhile, make the syrup. Mix together the sugar, water, lemon dessert sauce, lemon juice and rind and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes th.en cool.
* Strain syrup through a sieve, reserving strips of lemon then set aside.
* When the cake has cooked, pour syrup over the cake slowly, allowing it to absorb into the cake. When all the syrup has been absorbed and the cake is cool, turn out onto a platter to serve
* Serve the cake, decorated with the reserved lemon slices and with thick cream and drizzled with a little extra Colonial lemon cognac dessert sauce.